Summer is fast approaching and Basketball Ireland have been hard at work in preparation for the 40th Annual National Camp. This year, pairing up with Macron Kits, they have pieced together an outstanding coaching line-up. Check it out:
Born: May 8th, 1987
Home Town: Alexandria, Northern Virginia, USA
Marcus Ginyard is a name well-known to followers of college basketball the world around. A part of the famous 2009 North Carolina National Championship winning team, Marcus’ basketball career has taken him all over the world and this summer, he intends to travel to Ireland and the 40th Basketbal Ireland Macron Kits National Camp at Gormanston.
A very brief summary of some of his achievements inclue winning an AAU National title at the age of 13, playing alongside current NBA stars Ty Lawson, Roy Hibbert and Dante Cunningham. During his time at Bsihop O’Donnell High School in Arlington Virginia, Marcus helped lead his team to a Washington Catholic Athletic Conference Championship, three straight Alhambra Catholic Invitation Championships, and three Virginia Independent School State Championships. His career was highlighted with an impressive 116-19 overall record in four years, First Team All Metropolitan Selection, Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year, and Virginia’s Mr. Basketball.
After his sophmore season at Bishop O’Connell, Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams offered him a full scholarship to play basketball for the University of North Carolina. Marcus accepted without hesitation. He entered UNC with fellow classmates Michael Copeland, Danny Green, Bobby Frasor and Tyler Hansbrough. A key player right from the start of his career at UNC, Marcus captained the team his junior season, becoming an essential part of the 2008 ACC Championship and Final Four season. He was selected to the ACC-All Defense Team, while also being named to All-ACC Tournament Team. The following year, Marcus was forced to redshirt midway through the season due to his slow recovery from surgery on a broken bone in his foot. His team would go on to win the 2009 National Championship.
His professional career the begain in the German Basketball Bundesliga (BBL) with BBC Bayreuth and has since taken him to Ironi Nahariya in Israel before he landed with his current team Anwil Wloclawek in the Polish Tauron Basket Liga (TBL).
Born: March 26th, 1980
Michael Bree is widely recognised as one of the greatest Irish players ever and his lengthy list of achievements makes for impressive reading. Below are just some of the things that he has achieved in the game of basketball to date.
- Former captain for the Irish Senior Men’s Basketball squad and have been capped more than 35 times at senior level for Ireland. Played basketball for Ireland at all levels, including captaining the Irish junior men’s squad to victory in the European Qualifications, becoming the first Irish Team to do so. Received five personal accolades including the Most Valuable Player award at the European Qualifications Tournament
- Captain of Davidson College, NCAA Division One basketball team for the years 2000-2002. Received the Most valuable player award during the 2001-2002 season
- Selected by team colleagues as captain to Team Ratiopharm Ulm, Germany for two consecutive years.
- Led the second Bundesliga, Germany in assists for the season 2003-2004. Also top 10 in steals.
- Led the Basket Ligan, Sweden in total assists for the seasons 2005-2007. Also top 10 in steals.
- Named as Eurobasket Bosman of the year for Sweden 2005-2006.
- Selected as an All-Star in Sweden for the 2005-2006 season.
Born: June 26, 1976
Home Town: New York, USA
Nickname: “B.J” and “The Beast”
Full name: William Marion Mc Farlan
B.J McFarlan is a seasoned pro whose career began in Ireland when he was a key member of the 2000 SuperLeague Cup winning Burger King Limerick side. Since then he has gone on to play for professional teams in Finland, Poland, France, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Argentina. In that time he has built an impressive playing CV that includes being named to the Eurobasket.com All-Finnish League Imports 1st Team in 2004, being named the Eurobasket.com All-French ProB Player of the Year in 2005, leading his team to the French ProB Championship in 2006 and being named to the Latinbasket.com Argentinian LigaA All-Imports Team in 2008 during a time when he led his team (Lanus) to back to back Argentinian LigaA Finals (’08 and ’09).
Post and photos courtesy of Basketball Ireland