This summer (Friday July 12th) Basketball Ireland are running the U14 and U18 Boys and Girls National 3on3 Championships at Gormanston College, Co Meath for the first time.
With the real possibility of 3on3 becoming an Olympic sport at Rio in 2016, this exciting and accessible form of basketball is set to explode in popularity.
Who do people think would be the best 3on3 U18 team in the country in Boys? A combination of the all-conquering Belfast Star team (perhaps the Quinn twins and Pettigrew)? How about from the team they beat in the National Cup final, Moycullen with their three internationals Lyons, Costelloe and O’Brien? What combination of KUBS guys could challenge – O’Hanlon, McCann and McDonnell? Who else do people think would combine to be the BEST U18 3on3 team???
How about on the girls side? Surely Brunell would be favoured with Edel Thornton possibly leading a trio that could include fellow SuperLeague stars O’Leary and Waters! Could Sarah Kenny and some of her Glanmire teammates give them a run for their money? How about Katie Black and Erica Kennedy Smith leading a DCU Mercy team?
Entry forms can be downloaded on the Basketball Ireland website here http://basketballireland.ie/
FIBA 3on3 Rules of the Game
- Court The game will be played on a 3on3 basketball court with 1 basket, half a traditional basketball court may be used
- Ball A size 6 ball shall be used in all categories
- Teams Each team shall consist of 4 players (3 players on the court and 1 substitute)
- Game Officials 1 referee and 2 time/score keepers (optional). Referee may be used as scorer and timekeeper.
- Initial possession Coin Flip
- Game duration 1 x 10 minutes, playing time (may be reduced depending on numbers)
- Score limit 21 points (may be reduced depending on numbers)
- Overtime First team to score two (2) points wins the game
- Scoring 1 and 2 if scored behind the three point line
- Shot Clock 12 seconds
- Foul limit per player 4
- Foul limit per team 7
- Penalty situation 1 free throw
- Possession following a successful field goal Defense possession
- Possession following a dead ball “Check ball” exchange behind the three point line at the top
- Following a defensive rebound Ball to be dribbled/passed behind the three point line
- Following a jumpball situation Defense possession
- Following a shooting foul 1 free throw or 2 free throws, if foul committed behind the three point line
- Following a steal Do not need to clear the ball outside the 3point line
- Substitutions In dead ball situations, prior to the check ball and require no action from the referees or table officials
Basketball Ireland 3on3 National Championship Tournament Details
Venue – Gormanston College, County Meath.
Date – Friday July 12th 2013
Times – 10.00am – 5pm
Cost – €2 per player (4 in a team) – free entry for all Gormanston Camp attendees and all regional qualifiers.
Age Groups – Under 14/Under 18 girls and boys. (separate)
Entry – to enter a team please download the entry form and email firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Matthew Hall, 3on3, National Basketball Arena, Tymon Park, Dublin 24. All pre-entered teams will receive a free 3on3 t-shirt on the day. Teams can also enter on the day if they wish.