Wow. This feels strange. But in a good way.
It’s been a while since I last blogged for TCC and I am happy to finally have a free moment to check-in. Where have I been? Camp! The past eight weeks in the beautiful rural Pennsylvania, coordinating the Athletics programme for 300-something campers, went by in a flash. Was it fun? Of course. Have I missed out on somethings? Unfortunately so.
Here are a few of my pros and cons of spending Summer 2012 in the USA
- Pro: It’s nice to see the sun after May (you know that one week, during exams, when Ireland thinks it’s going to have a beautiful summer?)
- Con: Sunburn – despite lathering on SPF 30 regularly (I promise, Mum)
- Pro: Following the awesome coverage of the US vs Team GB warm-up games on The Courtside Collective (Well-done Marc and Niall – you guys nailed it)
- Con: Following the awesome coverage of the US vs Team GB warm-up games on The Courtside Collective (I hate you both, Marc and Niall)
- Pro: Camp Olympics/Colour War
- Con: The zillions of people (slight exaggeration) who have been able to watch the actual Olympics on TV all day, everyday (I’m looking at you, Paddy McGaharan)
- Pro: The pound-to-dollar exchange rate
- Con: The dollar-to-pound exchange rate (maybe I should spend it all here?)
- Pro: Eating Chick-Fil-A
- Con: Eating Chick-Fila-A and feeling like I’m making some sort of statement when really all I wanted was a great chicken sandwich and superior service (it’s my pleasure)
- Pro: Receiving a phone-call from Joe McAufield (Aquinas Grammar Basketball) to hear about the birth of his new baby boy, Michael Joseph.
- Con: Missing out on the “party of the year” – an Olympic themed shindig with my closest friends, including three Swedish mates who made the trip (seems like the lads were happy enough entertaining Janna, Eleanor and Camilla)
The list could go on-and-on forever.
Right now, I am happy to report poolside from a beautiful villa in Orlando, Florida. Thanks to Joe McAufield who rented me this ridiculous pad for a few nights. I can’t imagine a better way to get some R’N’R: sipping on a cold Sam Adams, listening to Passion Pit and trying to get some sun (but not too much).
This has been TCC’s first travel post. Where have you been this summer? Have you been holidaying in London for the Olympics?
Thinking of going to Orlando? Why not check out the McAufield Villa! For more details and photos of this wonderful getaway spot, click here!